A creamy bread sauce is the perfect accompaniment to turkey. It’s not difficult to make, simply requiring the heating and stirring of infused milk and bread.
- 1 medium onion
- 200g stale bread (cut into pieces)
- 1 litre whole milk
- 2 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- sea salt
- ground pepper
- Cut the onion in half, stud each half of the onion with a bay leaf and clove.
- Warm the milk, add the onion and allow to infuse for twenty minutes, then remove.
- Add the pieces of bread and allow to soak-up the milk and breakdown.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
Make the milk infusion 24 hours in advance ready to finish the bread sauce on Christmas Day.
Use a whisk when stirring to help break the pieces of bread down quicker.